Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Capital

Oh how I love Madrid. Only because I'm currently living in the exact opposite kind of place. I hustled up there last weekend, foolishly bringing my winter coat because I'd thought it would be colder than Andalucía. The temperature is pretty much the same.

It was quite an ordeal getting there. In my area, on Sundays getting a taxi is like hunting for treasure. It was so difficult to find one that I ended up missing my train. Thank goodness I didn't buy a ticket ahead of time. When I finally stumbled into my friend's apartment in Madrid, I dropped everything and announced I was ready to eat.

And eat I did - my first night, and the entire following day. Normally, I follow a healthy, restricted diet. But put me in a city and I go CRAZY. I seek out food that I can't find in my village - Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, Italian. I ate that weekend even when I wasn't hungry, because I absolutely wanted the comfort food. And the pastries! The yemas were such a buena pinta!
(insert Homer Simpson drool here)
The recipe looks dang easy:

Ingredients:
330 ml can condensed milk
9 egg yolks
1/2 tsp lemon rind
2 tbsp butter to grease hands
1/2 cup white sugar for rolling
1.) Combine the first 3 ingredients in a non-stick frying pan
2.) Cook over low heat, stirring continuously until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan. It is best to use wooden spoons for this.
3.) Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
4.) Butter your fingers and form the yema mixture into small balls.
5.) Roll the yema balls in granulated sugar and place in fluted baking cups.
Am I going to make this? YESSSSS!

No comments:

Post a Comment